Saturday, May 16, 2009

Walls

Are they needed? Necessary? Good?

Well . . . it depends on their purpose. If they are supporting or protecting, then they are needed and good. If they are not necessary, then they could be a barrier. For instance, in a home, if a wall isn’t needed for support, then to take it down would bring a whole wide open space unavailable for prior use.

I’ve been thinking about a small book I read years ago, My Heart Christ’s Home. The illustration was given of the heart being like a home with rooms and doors to each room. Your guest, Christ, only goes into the rooms that He is invited to enter. It’s a beautiful home, well kept, clean. You don’t hesitate to invite your guest into each and every room. Oh, except for one – the storage room or the attic. It’s too messy to invite anyone there.

Perhaps a room was left out? Could there be a secret room? That room clearly would be a mess. No way to get in to clean. It would be wise to take down the whole wall, clean up that room and then wow, you’ve just added to your investment by opening up a new larger space.

Several weeks ago, I realized that there was a wall in my heart, protecting a small room all its own. It had been a good wall. It protected me. It provided a safe place. It was sealed shut. Nothing could get in and nothing could get out. Finally, it became apparent that the wall was no longer needed nor wanted. In fact, the wall had become a barrier, a hindrance to hopes, dreams, desires.

So . . . I say, “Take down that wall!” Oh my. It’s been a messy two weeks of clean up.

“I give thanks to you, O Lord my God, with my whole heart, and I will glorify your name forever.” The ESV English-Hebrew Reverse Interlinear Old Testament, Psalms 86:12

1 comment:

  1. And beneath that 'mess' is the dazzling beauty of a godly heart, that blesses my soul every day.

    What a glorious treasure to walk this journey with you, hand in hand.

    ReplyDelete